Pages

October 23, 2014

Veg Out

By no means am I a vegetarian (I had roast last night for dinner), but I am extremely picky about the meat I eat. I rarely eat meat at restaurants and often find that I've gone days without meat at all. I know many of you turn your nose up at vegetarian options, but I'm here to tell you most of them are SO delicious you really cannot taste the difference. This is coming from a girl who didn't like salad until I was a junior in college :)

I first learned of meatless options through a roommate (and one of my bests) in college. She was a vegetarian and always had meatless burgers in our freezer. {shout out to Nikki} I was drawn to how easy they were, especially when you are only cooking for 1 or 2 people. Meatless burger patties are sold frozen, usually in packs of 4, and can be cooked by the single patty to make a quick burger. I also love meatless because I don't know about y'all, but I think frozen meals with meat in them are disgusting. I have found that frozen meatless options are definitely the way to go for a quick and easy lunch to take to the office. All of these items can be found at Target and WholeFoods. Walmart has a more limited selection, but they always have the Morningstar burgers and dogs and a good selection of Amy's meals too.

Here are some of my favorites:

{Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burger}
The original meatless burger that drew me into the vegetarian world. I won't go trying to convince you it tastes like a beef patty, because it doesn't, but boy is it tasty!
 
{Amy's Light and Lean Enchilada}
This enchilada meal is SO tasty and definitely gets rid of that Mexican craving that I have ALL THE TIME. It is not only low calorie, but really filling too! Two thumbs up in my mind. Also, try their bean and cheese burritos!
{Gardein Crispy Mandarin Chick'n}
This might be my FAVORITE veg meal. The orange chicken tastes just like the takeout you get from down the street. The only difference is you know what's in this meat-free dish because it's mystery meat free!! Add a little brown rice and you have the perfect dinner.
{MorningsStar Farms Corndogs}
The ONLY corndogs I have eaten in probably five years. I really do think these are BETTER than the mystery meat dogs they serve up at the fair and football games.
 
If you are still a little leery of the vegetarian world, please reach out to me and I will be happy to help pick some good options for you! I think every household should participate in Meatless Monday, even if only once a month.
 
Veg out,
Brianna
 

2 comments:

  1. While I refuse to believe your claim about that corndog (b/c, let's be honest, fair corndogs are among my top 5 favorite foods EVER), I must agree with you about those Amy's bean and cheese burritos. Those things are legit. In fact, I have liked most of the Amy's products that I have tried. May need to stock up on some this weekend b/c I am determined to take (and eat) my lunch to work at least 3x's next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Karly!! Do it, they are so easy to grab and take for lunch at work. I do it ALL THE TIME!!! Also, another one I had yesterday that was amazing is "Boomerang Hand Pies". The curry veggie flavor was awesome! I'm going to go get some more a Whole Foods this weekend... I got that one at Target but on clearance (not sure if they will carry them anymore). Sad because I just discovered it. {Thanks Sheila for the find}

    ReplyDelete