Pages

October 7, 2014

Cake Pop 101

Cake pops are SO yummy! Last night I made a batch for my fabulous Grandma's birthday that is today! {Happy Birthday Grandma!} They can be a bit of a mess to make so I have put together a step by step guide to make the cutest pops in town.

First, bake a cake. I usually do this the day before so that the process isn't any longer than it has to be. The cake needs to be cooled, so it's really just easier to do the night before. I decided on Pumpkin Spice. 
Once the cake is cooled, crumble it into a large mixing bowl and add your favorite frosting. I chose cream cheese (my favorite) and was lazy so I used a hand mixer to mix the crumbled cake and frosting together.
 It should look something like this once it's all mixed up.
I have found that the easiest way to make cake pops is by using lollipop sticks (found at Hobby Lobby or Michael's) and Candy Melts (also found at these stores). The Candy Melts come in all different fun colors and are super easy to melt up in the microwave.
 I melt a few chips to use as the glue for the lollipop sticks.
If you don't have one of these, you need one in your life. They are perfect for cake balls, but I use mine for just about everything: cookies, muffins, cupcakes, etc.
 Scoop out some of that sticky mixture, roll into a ball and "glue" your lollipop stick into the cake.
TA-DA! Now I usually like to freeze or refrigerate the pops to solidify the "glue" and harden the cake before dipping.
 Gather your cake pop dippin' materials. {Sprinkles, melted Candy Melts, and the pops}
I found these at Target in the dollar spot! Perfect for my pumpkin spice cake pops.
 Now dip and roll the pops into the chocolate. I use a spoon to wipe off excess chocolate, as it can get a little thick and I think it's better with a thin later. Just my personal preference.
 Roll the pop in the sprinkles before the chocolate has a chance to harden.
Then place the pops back into the fridge to cool before bagging. I get these bags at Michael's and think they are the easiest way to package the pops. Plus, they make them look extra pretty!
Lots and lots of cake pops! I think my Grandma's bridge club will have lots of fun eating these. They are super easy to transport and make such a cute party favor too!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA!
I love you and cannot wait to celebrate your special day with you!

Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment